WHAT IS DETECTOR TOOLS AND HOW DO I USE IT?
Detector Tools is an interface program which allows you to update your detector's Defender Database and software. This program also allows you to
back-up your data, and provides a redundancy for making program changes on the unit itself.
Once you have installed Detector Tools (following the instructions given below), you will need to connect your detector to the computer with a 5-pin USB A-B cable (or mini
USB cord). Once you are connected, you will then open Detector Tools. To update the database, you will click the top green box that reads "Merge your data (TrueLock
& Marked locations) with the latest ESCORT Defender database." This merges our current Defender information with what has been previously marked on your detector.
This is a cumulative file, which means that whenever you perform the update all previous updates are also installed. Clicking this box automatically begins the upload of
that information into your detector.
This program also allows updates of the detector's software. Software updates are released as needed. To update the software through Detector Tools, click the bottom green
box that reads "Update your detector with the latest software from ESCORT." If you click on this box and receive a message that "Your detector is up to
date," this just means that you already have the software which the update would have provided.
Detector Tools also provides you with the ability to back-up your data to your computer, using the Advanced Tab. You can also make program changes on your radar detector,
using the Advanced, User Preferences, and Options tabs. These features are included in Detector Tools as a redundancy – it is recommended that you make any program changes
directly on the detector itself. For information on how to make those changes, please consult the Quick Reference Card near the front of your owner's manual.
- This program requires the latest Windows updates. You must have at least Windows XP (Service Pack 3), Windows Vista (Service Pack 1), Windows 7, or
Windows 8. You must also have .NET Framework 3.5 (Service Pack 1) or greater. To update your Windows Operating Software, please click the following link to be taken to
the Windows Update page:
- To complete updates with Detector Tools, your Windows PC must maintain a connection to the internet (wireless or wired), during the entire update
process. This is necessary, because the Tools program must communicate with our server to verify the validity of your subscription status. For that reason, it is also
recommended that you temporarily disable your firewalls, so that this communication with our server is not disrupted.
- If you do not already have Detector Tools installed, then you are able to install from here. However, if you have a previous version of Detector Tools
installed on your computer, and if that version is older than 1.8.6, then you must uninstall that before you can install this current version. You can view your current
version by opening Detector Tools and clicking the Options tab (the version number will appear at the bottom of that page). To uninstall your old version, use the Start
button to navigate to the Control Panel, and then Add/Remove Programs (for Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/7). Wait for the list of installed
programs to load and then remove/uninstall any Detector Tools programs listed there.
- Your 90-day free trial period for Defender Database updates began when you registered this detector. When that trial period ends, you will need a
database subscription to continue to perform those updates. Detector Tools will inform you of that need when the time arrives, though you can also activate a
subscription before the end of the trial period, without losing the balance of that free trial.
Activating the subscription is a multi-stage process. First, you must order the subscription. Upon receipt of your order, we will generate the
pertinent database subscription code and e-mail that to you within about 24 hours (excepting holidays and weekends). Once your receive that code, you must return to the
registration page for your detector, and click the link on the right side of that page that reads, "Click here to activate your Database Subscription." On the
subsequent page, simply input your serial number, e-mail address and the database subscription code. Wait 2-6 hours, and you will then be able to resume performing
DETECTOR TOOLS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Click the green Download button at the top left of this page.
- A File Download box opens with the options to Open, Save, or Cancel. Click on SAVE. Some browsers will automatically download without a prompt to open
or save. If that is the case, you may want to use a different browser to perform this download (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.).
- Next, a download progress window will appear and display the progress of the download. After a short time, you should be presented with a window that
opens to reveal two files that have downloaded. Those files are "DetectorTools.msi" and "setup.exe".
- Double click DetectorTools.msi to begin the installation process (the DetectorTools.msi file is recommended). You may be prompted to run, or open the
file. If so, please select run.
- Now a Detector Tool Setup Wizard will appear. Click on Next to begin the installation process.
- Read the License Agreement, and if you choose to, click on I Agree, and then Next.
- When you see a "User Account Control" warning, select Yes.
- Click Next on the Select Installation Folder and Confirm Installation screens.
- Once the Software Installation Warning screen appears, either hit Continue Anyway (XP) or Install this Driver Software Anyway (Vista/7).
- At this point, a box will pop up that says "Detector Tools Driver Installer." If you have either the Passport iQ or the Passport 8500ci
Plus, then click on the appropriate box and hit Install. If you have one of those models and are installing the drivers here, it will give you a Potential Harmful
Software warning - give permission. If you have any other radar detector, then simply close that box.
- The installation is now complete. You should see an icon on your desktop that matches the Detector Tools icon shown at the top left of this page.
FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS FOR iQ OWNERS ONLY
Note: The instructions here vary based on whether you have XP or Vista/Windows 7
- When the iQ is plugged into the USB port and powered on for the first time, a Found New Hardware notice will appear. If you have Vista/Windows 7, the
driver will automatically install. If you have XP, then follow Steps 2-5.
- (XP) On the Found New Hardware Wizard screen select No, not this time, and then Next.
- (XP) On the next Wizard screen select Install the software automatically, and then Next.
- (XP) On the next Software Installation Warning screen, click Continue Anyway.
- (XP) Click Finish to Complete the Found New Hardware Wizard.
- For all systems: when Detector Tools has been installed and the hardware has been found, you are ready to update. For the iQ, you must connect the
detector to the computer in a specific sequence for this to work properly:
- First, connect the USB cable to the iQ and the computer.
- Power on the iQ.
- When the display of the iQ shows Connected, you can then launch Detector Tools by clicking the icon on your desktop.
Mac Version of Detector Tools V 2.1.0 (for OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10 only):
This Mac Version of Detector Tools supports firmware, Defender updates, Download of TrueLock and Marked locations and Upload of Alert and Marked Locations for the
Passport 9500i, Passport 9500ix, Passport Max, Passport 9500ci (serial numbers starting with 16), Passport 8500ci Plus, SmartCord Live, SmartRadar and Passport iQ. Not
compatible with Passport 9500ci (serial numbers starting with 63) at this time.
Click here to download the Mac Version of Detector